The Mercantile Trust of Texas was formed on July 1, 2005 to provide statutory workers’ compensation coverage to the members of the Texas Food and Fuel Association (formerly known as the Texas Grocers and Convenience Association).
This program is owned and managed by the members and is approved and certified by the Texas Department of Insurance. The goal was to provide a stable workers’ compensation market to the members at a competitive price. The group is administered by First Cardinal of Texas, which provides the services not unlike a typical insurance company.
As owners, all surplus monies belong to members of the group. Eligible industries are as follows:
- Retail Convenience Stores
- Retail Clothing Stores
- Retail Jewelry Stores
- Retail Supermarkets
- Retail Department Stores
- Retail Furniture Stores
- Retail Drug Stores
- Retail Home Improvement Stores
- Retail Building Material Dealers
- Retail Gasoline Stations
- Retail Automobile Accessory Stores including service and repair
- Retail House Furnishings Stores
- Any and all other Retail Stores